What can I do if I face abuse in my relationships?

Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing

Abusers are often very charming people until they 'have you in their clutches'. Then one day the relationship starts to change and the abuse starts to happen. If you realize what is happening early in the relationship, get out and get help. The abuser may not be willing to just go away. There are services for abused women that help make a safety plan and give shelter until you get your life organized again. If you have been in this relationship long term, chances are it will take more than one try to successfully escape the relationship.  

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

What are some common signs of an abusive relationship?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
There may not be any signs to see that would tell an outsider that a relationship was abusive. In fa...
How are race and class related to violence against women?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Violence against women may be tolerated more in some cultures than others. However batterers and vic...
What are the impacts of an abusive relationship?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Abusive relationships may be hard to end, particularly if we lack financial independence. If we are ...
How do women react to experiencing violence?
Women usually experience violence as a private crisis. Many survivors feel isolated because of lack ...