How does a person develop Stockholm syndrome?

Generally speaking, the Stockholm syndrome process as seen in a kidnapping or hostage situation looks like this narrative involving a male captor and a female hostage:

A person finds herself held captive by a man who is threatening to kill her if she disobeys him. She may be abused and having trouble thinking straight. Escape, the captor says, is not an option - she, and perhaps her family, will end up dead. Her only chance to survive is obedience.

As time passes, obedience alone may become less of a sure thing - the captor is under increasing stress, and a change in his mood could mean harm to his prisoner. Figuring out the triggers of her captor's violence so she can avoid them becomes another survival strategy. In this way, she gets to know her captor.

A minor act of kindness by the captor, which can include simply not yet killing the prisoner, positions the captor as the prisoner's savior. In these traumatic, life-threatening circumstances, the prisoner views the slightest act of kindness - or the sudden absence of violence - as a sign of friendship in an otherwise hostile, terrifying world. The prisoner clings to it desperately.

The captor slowly seems less threatening - more an instrument of protection and survival than of harm. The prisoner undergoes what some call an act of self-delusion: To survive psychologically as well as physically, and to lessen the unimaginable stress of the situation, the prisoner begins to truly believe that the captor is her friend, that he won't kill her, that they can help each other "get out of this mess." The people on the outside trying to rescue her seem less like her allies and more like a threat to this person who is protecting her from harm. The fact that this person is also the source of the potential harm is buried in the process of self-delusion.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
How can I defend myself against violence?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
The most important step in ending violence against women is to stop people from using violence to ge...
What can I say if I think my aging loved one is being financially abused?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
If you think your aging loved one is being financially abused, you can say “Let’s work together. I w...