What are the legal considerations for a victim of domestic violence?

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology

1 in 4 American women and 1 in 10 American men will experience intimate partner violence at some point in their lives. It is well documented that the most dangerous time for a victim involved with a batterer is the time they attempt to leave. In fact, it takes 7-8 attempts on average to leave a relationship. While there are laws that have made domestic violence a crime, often the legal system including the courts fall short of being able to protect the victim. There are many legal considerations involved so victims are best served if they work closely with an experienced domestic violence agency or shelter. Some legal considerations include:

• Whether to file a police report and obtain an order of protection?
  • Divorce or separation, if the victim is married to the batterer.
  • Custody and visitation for the children from the relationship.
  • Seeking medical care, as physicians are mandated reporters and this will often trigger a call to police.
  • Having access to your finances, home and health insurance, particularly if these are controlled by the batterer.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

In the future, how can I prevent intimate partner violence?
You can try to prevent intimate partner violence by building safe, healthy relationships. Make sure ...
What are some common signs of an abusive relationship?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
There may not be any signs to see that would tell an outsider that a relationship was abusive. In fa...
What can I say if I think my aging loved one is being financially abused?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
If you think your aging loved one is being financially abused, you can say “Let’s work together. I w...
Beyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic Abuse
Beyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic AbuseBeyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic AbuseBeyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic AbuseBeyond Physical Scars: The Lasting Impact of Domestic Abuse
Sexual dysfunction, low self-esteem and chronic pain are just some of the issues. Bruises and breaks heal, but domestic violence can leave other profo...