What is the impact of violence against women on the perpetrators?

On the surface, it seems that men benefit from male dominance, control, and violence. However, at a deeper level, their violence against women harms men because it harms the women and girls in their lives and prevents these men from having positive and loving relationships with women. A growing number of men are recognizing this, working to stop the violence, and realizing that violence against women is a gross violation of human rights. The International Criminal Tribunal in The Hague has recognized rape as a war crime. Its ruling acknowledges that rape is not a private interpersonal matter but a weapon used to demoralize the enemy, as well as an institutionalized form of plunder.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
What are some common signs of an abusive relationship?
Good In BedGood In Bed
According to the Centers for Disease Control, nearly one-quarter of women and 8 percent of men have ...
What can I say if I think my aging loved one is being financially abused?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
If you think your aging loved one is being financially abused, you can say “Let’s work together. I w...