How do women react to experiencing violence?

Women usually experience violence as a private crisis. Many survivors feel isolated because of lack of support or because sexuality and victimization are shrouded in shame in our culture. This evokes a difficult set of reactions from women who have been raped, battered, sexually harassed, abused as children, robbed violently, or hurt by other forms of violence. Some common reactions to trauma are:

• Self-blame and feelings of shame and guilt
  • Fear, terror, and a feeling of insecurity
  • Anger and rage
  • Anger turned inward, depression, and suicidal feelings
  • Substance abuse
  • Eating disorders
  • Physical symptoms
  • Self-harm
  • Grief and loss
  • Loss of control and powerlessness
  • Isolation
  • Flashbacks and nightmares
  • Sensory triggers
  • Dissociation
  • Changes in sexuality and intimacy
  • Spiritual crisis
Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
What happens if domestic violence is not addressed in the early stages?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If domestic violence is not adequately addressed in its early stages, it can escalate in magnitude a...
What can I do if I face abuse in my relationships?
Irwin IsaacsIrwin Isaacs
Abuse is not always physical.  It can also be psychological or financial abuse.  It is not always a ...