How can I defend myself against violence?

The most important step in ending violence against women is to stop people from using violence to get their way. At the same time, you must learn to protect yourself as best as you can. Learning self-defense boosts your physical and emotional self-confidence and increases your options in a situation when you are at risk of violence. The study of self-defense includes many activities: training in assertiveness, exercise, and boxing and other sports that promote self confidence, self-knowledge, and self-reliance. Self-defense is not simply responding to violence with violence. While an increasing number of girls and women are willing to act violently, responding this way does not necessarily increase women's safety. Self-defense classes may help you think clearly if you are under attack, so that you can mobilize your thoughts, assess the situation, make a judgment about the level of danger, and then implement the response you have chosen.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse