How can I explain the dangers of date rape drugs to my teen?

Michele Borba
Tell your teen that the drug works like a powerful sleeping pill: within a short time of taking it you may start to feel dizzy, drowsy, confused, nauseous, lose your coordination and judgment until you become unconscious. Every person reacts differently. The drugs mixed with alcohol or other drugs can be a lethal combination and stop respiration. The drug also causes amnesia so when you wake up you have no memory of what happened—which is exactly why it’s called a “Date Rape Pill.” Guys can take sexual advantage of you when you’re unconscious, which is another reason why you need to be cautious. In fact, corporations are teaching business women who travel frequently to learn these signs as a precaution, so this isn’t just a teen problem.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse