Is domestic violence considered an oral health issue?

Domestic violence is certainly a women's health and oral health issue. One forms of domestic violence is spousal abuse, but the American Dental Association uses the blanket term "intimate partner violence" or IPV. IPV may occur more than 4 million times per year. Many injuries sustained from IPV are those of the mouth, head, and neck. The health of the jaw, teeth, and gums is an important consideration when violence occurs. Dentists may be able to recognize IPV if they are not told directly. IPV is against the law and healthcare providers must report suspected cases to local authorities. Dentists, periodontists, and oral surgeons are also trained to help repair any trauma to teeth or gums.

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
What can I do if I face abuse in my relationships?
Sheila DunnellsSheila Dunnells
Abuse is usually evident quickly; it can’t be hidden for long. If you feel you are in a physically o...
What happens if domestic violence is not addressed in the early stages?
Lisa MomentLisa Moment
If domestic violence is not addressed in the early stages it can progress and escalate into a very d...
What is the impact of violence against women on the perpetrators?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
On the surface, it seems that men benefit from male dominance, control, and violence. However, at a ...