How can I help a friend or family member with intimate partner violence?

If a friend or family member confides that they’ve experienced IPV, listen and help them understand that they did not deserve the abuse. Don’t allow them to share the blame and stress that their partner is totally responsible for his behavior. Assure the friend or family member that you worry about their safety and that of their children. Also, offer your support when they are ready to leave and seek professional help. 

Continue Learning about Relationship Abuse

Do You Know the Signs of an Abusive Relationship?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over half of the women who are murdered in the US die at the hands of an intimate p...
Are You in an Abusive Relationship? Here’s How to Get Help
The numbers are staggering. About one in four women will experience severe intimate partner violence (IPV) over the course of her lifetime. For men? T...
How are race and class related to violence against women?
Dr. Elif E. Oker, MDDr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Violence against women may be tolerated more in some cultures than others. However batterers and vic...
What can I say if I think my aging loved one is being financially abused?
Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MDDr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
If you think your aging loved one is being financially abused, you can say “Let’s work together. I w...