What is rectal cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Rectal cancer, also commonly referred to as colorectal cancer, is cancer that occurs in the rectum, the last portion of the large intestine. Rectal cancer begins in the lining of the rectum, then grows through the rectal wall and affects nearby lymph nodes if it is not treated in time. There are five stages of rectal cancer. Stage 0 is the earliest stage and stage 4 is the last stage. Recovery rates are very high when rectal cancer is treated early, but few people recover from rectal cancer that has reached stage 4.

Continue Learning about Colorectal Cancer

A 60-Second Habit That Colons May Love
A 60-Second Habit That Colons May Love
Research shows that a simple 60-second daily habit might help people of a certain age lower their risk of colon cancer. The quick trick? Popping a low...
What is the surgical treatment for rectal cancer?
Surgery to treat rectal cancer is called a resection. This operation removes the rectum and part of ...
When should I be screened for rectal cancer?
Rectal cancer most commonly appears in people who have reached or passed middle age. Generally, doct...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with rectal cancer?
Someone with rectal cancer may need a colectomy.A colectomy is major surgery, and someone will need ...