What is a local transanal resection (full thickness resection)?

This is a type of surgery for rectal cancer that is done with instruments inserted through the anus, without making an opening in the skin of the abdomen. This operation involves cutting through all layers of the rectum to remove cancer as well as some surrounding normal rectal tissue, and then closing the hole in the rectal wall. This procedure can be used to remove some T1 N0 M0 stage I rectal cancers that are relatively small and not too far from the anus. It is usually done with local anesthesia (numbing medicine) -- you are not asleep during the operation.

Continue Learning about Colorectal Cancer

What advancements are being made in colorectal surgery?
LewisGale Medical CenterLewisGale Medical Center
Polyps that are found during colonoscopies can now be removed using the endoscopic mucosal resection...
When should I be screened for rectal cancer?
Rectal cancer most commonly appears in people who have reached or passed middle age. Generally, doct...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with rectal cancer?
Someone with rectal cancer may need a colectomy.A colectomy is major surgery, and someone will need ...
What is a proctectomy with colo-anal anastomosis?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Some stage I and most stage II and III rectal cancers in the middle and lower third of the rectum re...