How does surgery affect people with rectal cancer?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Surgery can cure rectal cancer in its early stages. Stage 0 or 1 rectal cancer can usually be removed during a colonoscopy. Later stages may require a colectomy, which is surgery to remove the part of the rectum that is affected. Later stages may also require colostomy surgery. When rectal cancer has spread to other organs, surgery cannot cure the disease, but can ease some symptoms.

Continue Learning about Colorectal Cancer

What do I need to know about caring for someone with rectal cancer?
Someone with rectal cancer may need a colectomy.A colectomy is major surgery, and someone will need ...
What is an abdominoperineal (AP) resection?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
This operation is more involved than a low anterior resection. It can be used to treat some stage I ...
What is the surgical treatment for rectal cancer?
Surgery to treat rectal cancer is called a resection. This operation removes the rectum and part of ...
What's the Difference Between Treatment for Colon and Rectal Cancer?