What is a proctectomy with colo-anal anastomosis?

Some stage I and most stage II and III rectal cancers in the middle and lower third of the rectum require removing the entire rectum (proctectomy). The colon is then connected to the anus (colo-anal anastomosis). The rectum has to be removed to do a total mesorectal excision (TME), which is required to remove all of the lymph nodes near the rectum. This is a harder procedure to do, but modern techniques have made it possible.

Sometimes when a colo-anal anastomosis is done, a small pouch is made by doubling back a short segment of colon (colonic J-pouch) or by enlarging a segment (coloplasty). This small reservoir of colon then functions as a storage space for fecal matter like the rectum did before surgery. When special techniques are needed to avoid a permanent colostomy, you may need to have a temporary ileostomy opening for about 8 weeks while the bowel heals. A second operation is then done to reconnect the intestines and close the ileostomy opening.

This operation requires general anesthesia (where you are asleep). The usual hospital stay for a colo-anal anastomosis, like a low anterior resection, is 4 to 7 days, depending on your overall health. Recovery time at home may be 3 to 6 weeks.

Continue Learning about Colorectal Cancer

What increases my risk for rectal cancer?
Your risk for rectal cancer can stem from genetics or a previous medical condition. Crohn's disease ...
Are men or women at higher risk of developing colorectal cancer?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Colorectal cancer (CRC) affects an equal number of men and women. Many women, however, think of CRC ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with rectal cancer?
Someone with rectal cancer may need a colectomy.A colectomy is major surgery, and someone will need ...
When should I be screened for rectal cancer?
Rectal cancer most commonly appears in people who have reached or passed middle age. Generally, doct...