Is anything wrong if there is blood in my stool?

Most common causes of bloody stools are not serious and are due to anal fissures (tears in the skin around the anus) or hemorrhoids. However, cancer and precancerous conditions can also cause blood in the stools, so consult with your doctor if you notice this occuring.

Blood in your stool could be a symptom of rectal cancer. Tell your doctor right away if you notice blood when you pass a bowel movement. The earlier you catch rectal cancer, the more likely you will be able to recover fully after treatment.

Continue Learning about Colorectal Cancer

More People Under 65 Getting Colorectal Cancer, Says American Cancer Society
You might think of colorectal cancer as a condition that only affects older people. While it’s true that the risk rises as you age, an increasing numb...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with rectal cancer?
Someone with rectal cancer may need a colectomy.A colectomy is major surgery, and someone will need ...
What increases my risk for rectal cancer?
There are many things that increase your risk for rectal cancer. The most significant are: growi...
Is Colon Cancer or Rectal Cancer More Common?