What is a simple ranula?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A ranula is a mucous cyst found on the floor of the mouth. For a simple ranula, the mass is contained in the sublingual space. Sublingual means the cyst is confined to the area below or beneath the tongue. A simple ranula is the most typical form of ranula.

Continue Learning about Ranula Of The Tongue

Can a ranula be prevented?
There is no known way to prevent a ranula from forming. Ranulas only occur in one of two ways. One w...
What is the rate of incidence for ranulas?
Simple ranulas (the most typical form) are not common. They occur in about two of every 10,000 peopl...
Should I talk to my doctor about my ranula symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your ranula symptoms. Ranulas do not resolve on their own....
What increases my risk for a ranula?
Mouth surgery may increase the risk for getting a ranula. Some ranulas form spontaneously, but other...