Are there alternative treatments for a ranula?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

No, there are no alternative treatments for ranulas. Draining the cyst is one treatment option. Surgery to remove the cyst and the blocked gland is another treatment option. Ranulas do not resolve on their own nor do they respond to alternative treatments.

Continue Learning about Ranula Of The Tongue

What does a ranula look like?
A ranula is swollen mass beneath the tongue that is often blue in color. The name ranula comes from ...
Can a ranula be prevented?
There is no known way to prevent a ranula from forming. Ranulas only occur in one of two ways. One w...
How do I manage my ranula on a daily basis?
The best way to manage a ranula is to see a doctor. Ranulas can grow large enough to impair chewing,...
Is the incidence rate of ranulas affected by gender or age?
Simple ranulas (the most typical form) occur more frequently in women than men. Plunging ranulas (th...