How is a ranula diagnosed?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

A doctor may diagnose a ranula simply by observing it. Taking a patient history detailing the first appearance and growth of the mass, as well as observing the location of the mass likely will help make a diagnosis. An MRI, x-ray, or fine-needle aspiration (using a needle to extract liquid from the mass) also may help make the diagnosis.

Continue Learning about Ranula Of The Tongue

What increases my risk for a ranula?
Mouth surgery may increase the risk for getting a ranula. Some ranulas form spontaneously, but other...
What is the rate of incidence for ranulas?
Simple ranulas (the most typical form) are not common. They occur in about two of every 10,000 peopl...
Should I talk to my doctor about my ranula symptoms?
Yes, you should talk to your doctor about your ranula symptoms. Ranulas do not resolve on their own....
What is a simple ranula?
A ranula is a mucous cyst found on the floor of the mouth. For a simple ranula, the mass is containe...