How common are mouth cysts (ranulas)?

Ranulas, or mouth cysts, are common. According to one estimate, about 2.5 ranulas are found per 1,000 people. They are identified in nearly 6% of oral biopsies. They happen equally in men and women and affect people of all ages. Ranulas are most likely to occur in adolescents and teens.

Continue Learning about Ranula Of The Tongue

What is the rate of incidence for ranulas?
Simple ranulas (the most typical form) are not common. They occur in about two of every 10,000 peopl...
How do I manage my ranula on a daily basis?
The best way to manage a ranula is to see a doctor. Ranulas can grow large enough to impair chewing,...
Is the incidence rate of ranulas affected by gender or age?
Simple ranulas (the most typical form) occur more frequently in women than men. Plunging ranulas (th...
What does a ranula look like?
A ranula is swollen mass beneath the tongue that is often blue in color. The name ranula comes from ...