What is radon poisoning?

Radon poisoning occurs when a person is exposed to an excessive amount of radon. Radon is a tasteless, odorless, invisible, and radioactive gas formed by the natural breakdown of uranium. Because uranium is usually present in dirt and rocks, very low levels of radon are released into the environment on a continuous basis. Under certain circumstances a person can be exposed to higher than usual amounts, which can lead to radon poisoning. Radon poisoning is the second most common cause of lung cancer in the United States, but does not seem to cause any other health problems.

Continue Learning about Radon Exposure (Poisoning)

Is radon poisoning serious?
Radon poisoning is very serious. In many countries, including the United States, it is the second mo...
What are the symptoms of radon poisoning?
Radon poisoning does not immediately cause any symptoms. The only known effect of radon poisoning is...
How is the general population exposed to radon?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Radon is present in nearly all air. Everyone breathes radon in every day, usually at very low levels...
Should I talk to my doctor about radon poisoning?
Unfortunately, the only way a doctor can tell if you've been harmed by radon poisoning is when it's ...