What causes radon poisoning?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Very small amounts of radon are commonly found in the environment because radon is formed by the natural breakdown of uranium, which is typically present in dirt and rocks. Radon is a gas, so it moves easily into the air, into buildings (through open doors or cracks in their foundations or basements), and through the soil. If it enters the groundwater, radon will be found in drinking water and well water. Radon poisoning is usually caused by breathing excessive amounts of radon for a prolonged period of time. This is most likely to occur in areas where the soil is rich in uranium, or when air circulation is not good, such as in mines or tightly sealed buildings with poor ventilation.

Continue Learning about Radon Exposure (Poisoning)

What is the rate of incidence for radon poisoning?
As there are no symptoms, signs, or test results specific for radon poisoning, it is very difficult ...
What household radon levels keep me safe from radon poisoning?
There is no radon level that is guaranteed to be absolutely safe. However, the level of radon in nor...
How does radon poisoning affect a person's body?
Radon gas spontaneously breaks down into smaller radioactive particles. When these particles decay, ...
What can I do if I have unsafe levels of radon in my home?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
If you have unsafe levels of radon in your home, your best course of action is to hire a trained rad...