What household radon levels keep me safe from radon poisoning?

There is no radon level that is guaranteed to be absolutely safe. However, the level of radon in normal outdoor air is considered to be too low to cause health problems, and it has been established by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as the goal level to which radon levels in homes and other areas should be reduced. This level is 0.4 picoCuries per Liter (pCi/L).

Although the outdoor level is the ideal, the EPA has currently set 4 pCi/L as an -action level,- and any home with a radon level of 4 pCi/L or higher should undergo measures to reduce the level. The EPA suggests radon-reduction methods also be considered for homes with radon levels between 2 and 4 pCi/L. Levels below are 2 pCi/L are generally considered to be nonhazardous. The average radon level in homes in the United States is about 1.3 pCi/L, but approximately one household in 15 has a level above 4 pCi/L.

Continue Learning about Radon Exposure (Poisoning)

What increases my risk for radon poisoning?
Your risk of radon poisoning is increased when you breathe air from your environment that contains e...
How might I be exposed to high levels radon?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Radon can enter homes through cracks in floors, walls, or foundations, and collect indoors. Radon ga...
Is radon poisoning serious?
Radon poisoning is very serious. In many countries, including the United States, it is the second mo...
What are the symptoms of radon poisoning?
Radon poisoning does not immediately cause any symptoms. The only known effect of radon poisoning is...