How do other illnesses or conditions effect radon poisoning?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Radon poisoning is not directly affected by any other illnesses or conditions. However, the risk of developing lung cancer from radon poisoning is increased by about 10 to 20 times in smokers, as opposed to non-smokers. The combination of smoking and excessive radon exposure has a dramatically increased effect on the risk of lung cancer; the risk of the combination is higher than the sum of the risks for smoking or radon exposure alone. The reason for this is unknown, but it does explain why individuals with radon poisoning should definitely stop smoking.

Continue Learning about Radon Exposure (Poisoning)

Is radon poisoning serious?
Radon poisoning is very serious. In many countries, including the United States, it is the second mo...
What can I do if I have unsafe levels of radon in my home?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
If you have unsafe levels of radon in your home, your best course of action is to hire a trained rad...
What is radon and how am I exposed to it?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Radon is a gas produced by the decay of naturally occurring uranium which may be present in minute t...
Can radon poisoning be prevented?
Since there is no treatment or cure for radon poisoning, prevention is of prime importance. Fortunat...