How is the general population exposed to radon?

Radon is present in nearly all air. Everyone breathes radon in every day, usually at very low levels. However, people who inhale high levels of radon are at an increased risk for developing lung cancer.

Radon can enter homes through cracks in floors, walls, or foundations, and collect indoors. It can also be released from building materials, or from water obtained from wells that contain radon. Radon levels can be higher in homes that are well insulated, tightly sealed, and/or built on uranium-rich soil. Because of their closeness to the ground, basement and first floors typically have the highest radon levels.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Radon Exposure (Poisoning)

What causes radon poisoning?
Very small amounts of radon are commonly found in the environment because radon is formed by the nat...
What increases my risk for radon poisoning?
Your risk of radon poisoning is increased when you breathe air from your environment that contains e...
How can radon exposure affect my risk of developing cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
We all breathe a certain level of radon gas every day, usually at very low levels. It is an invisibl...
What are the treatment options for radon poisoning?
Unfortunately there is no therapy currently available to treat radon poisoning itself. When a person...