What types of lasers are used in cancer treatment?

Three types of lasers are used to treat cancer: carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers, argon lasers, and neodymium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet (Nd:YAG) lasers. Each of these can shrink or destroy tumors and can be used with endoscopes. CO2 and argon lasers can cut the skin's surface without going into deeper layers. Thus, they can be used to remove superficial cancers, such as skin cancer. In contrast, the Nd:YAG laser is more commonly applied through an endoscope to treat internal organs, such as the uterus, esophagus, and colon. Nd:YAG laser light can also travel through optical fibers into specific areas of the body during LITT. Argon lasers are often used to activate the drugs used in PDT.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is a dosimetrist?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
A dosimetrist has extensive training in physics in addition to training in radiation therapy. Un...
What is a medical physicist?
Medical physicists oversee the work of the dosimetrist and help ensure that complex radiation tr...
What is Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) is an advanced method that uses computers to deliver pr...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?