What side effects might my partner experience from radiation treatment?

Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
Gynecologic Oncology
Fatigue is a common side effect of radiation, and may not be noticeable until a few weeks after therapy begins. Your partner also may experience skin irritation causing redness. Another common side effect of abdominal and/or pelvic radiation is diarrhea, which is often relieved by over-the-counter anti-diarrheal medication. Patients may experience bladder irritation, which causes discomfort and the urge to urinate frequently. Female patients receiving pelvic radiation may experience vaginal stenosis, or the narrowing of the vagina caused by scar tissue. This can make intercourse painful for the female patient.
Music And Cancer: A Prescription For Healing

From diagnosis to end-of-life care to the meaning behind life with cancer, Music and Cancer: A Prescription for Healing is designed to improve the quality of life of people affected by cancer in a...

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

Can I take over-the-counter medicine during radiation treatment for cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Be sure to ask your radiation oncologist or nurse before taking any medicine even over-the-count...
What are the possible after effects of cancer radiation treatments?
Dr. Mark A. O'Rourke, MDDr. Mark A. O'Rourke, MD
The most common side effects of radiation therapy are temporary skin irritation and temporary fatigu...
What are the benefits of Gamma Knife treatment?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Benefits of Gamma Knife treatment include: Although the treatment area where the beams converge re...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?