What is a radiation oncology nurse?

A radiation oncology nurse works in collaboration with the radiation oncologist and the radiation technicians in caring for patients receiving radiation treatment for cancer. The nurses’ role is to assess the patient’s response to the treatment as well as to assist with the patient’s comfort, education and promoting overall well-being.

Radiation oncology nurses are specially trained in radiation therapy and work closely with your radiation oncologist. Part of their role is to assess how you are doing and to help you cope with changes throughout your treatment. They will explain and help you to manage any side effects. Your oncology nurse can provide support and information to your family.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What should I expect before external beam radiation therapy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Before external beam radiation therapy:Your doctor will explain the treatment plan, possible side ef...
How can I protect my skin during radiation treatments for cancer?
Lori K. Gillespie, MDLori K. Gillespie, MD
During radiation treatment follow these guidelines: Do not use heating pads, hot water bottles, he...
How does radiation kill breast cancer cells?
Susan McCloskey, MDSusan McCloskey, MD
Radiation therapy consistently decreases the risk for breast cancer recurrence by about 50% to 70%. ...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?