What is laser light?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The term "laser" stands for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. Ordinary light, such as that from a light bulb, has many wavelengths and spreads in all directions. Laser light, on the other hand, has a specific wavelength. It is focused in a narrow beam and creates a very high-intensity light. This powerful beam of light may be used to cut through steel or to shape diamonds. Because lasers can focus very accurately on tiny areas, they can also be used for very precise surgical work or for cutting through tissue (in place of a scalpel).

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?