What is intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) for cancer?

Intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) is a selectively used special procedure in which radiation is given to a patient's open surgical site during surgery. This technique is used when a surgeon finds cancer in the neck, chest, abdomen, or pelvis that cannot be completely removed but can be well seen. IORT requires a patient to be brought to the radiation department during surgery and requires the coordination of surgery, anesthesia, and radiation. IORT is intended to reduce the risk of local tumor growth.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How can I prevent errors in my child’s radiation treatment?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
Radiation treatment for cancer can be very effective. It may make you more comfortable with your chi...
How does radiation therapy (RT) treat cancer?
Radiation (also called radiotherapy, x-ray therapy, or irradiation) can be used alone or in comb...
What is CyberKnife treatment for lung cancer?
Kenneth T. Bastin, MDKenneth T. Bastin, MD
CyberKnife radiosurgery for lung cancer is a precise, painless, non-invasive radiation treatment...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?