What is image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) for cancer?

Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) refers to an x-ray taken just prior to your radiation treatment, which confirms the correct position of the radiation field. This daily imaging allows for any small positional corrections and allows the radiation oncologist to use smaller treatment fields to treat your cancer, reducing the risk of side effects. IGRT may use two-dimensional on-board imaging or three-dimensional cone-beam computed tomography (CT). IGRT is especially helpful in treating prostate cancer because the prostate is located close to the bladder and rectum. By imaging the prostate fields daily, normal tissue is spared greatly, and the radiation dose to the prostate cancer can be safely increased, improving the chance of cancer cure.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is accelerated-fraction radiation therapy?
Accelerated-fraction radiation therapy is a type of radiation treatment in which the total dose of r...
What is radiation therapy for cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Radiation therapy offers you a noninvasive cancer treatment option. There's no pain during the proce...
What are alternatives to external beam radiation therapy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Alternatives to external beam radiation therapy may include:Watching and waiting (no treatment)Chemo...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?