What is gamma knife radiation?

Using a three-dimensional approach, it is capable of directing up to 201 beams of gamma radiation to converge, with pinpoint accuracy, on a target within the brain. The gamma knife technology allows for the highest level of precision in positioning radiosurgical beams, minimizing damage to surrounding healthy tissue and increasing effectiveness. Unlike traditional open skull procedures, which can require several days in the hospital and weeks or months of recuperation, people treated with the gamma knife can often go home the same day and return to work or school immediately.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What questions should I ask my doctor about radiation therapy for cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
You may want to ask your doctor these questions before having radiation therapy for cancer: Why d...
What is consolidation therapy?
Consolidation therapy is a treatment that is given after cancer has disappeared following the initia...
What is laser light?
The term "laser" stands for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation. Ordinary light,...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?