What is consolidation therapy?

Consolidation therapy is a treatment that is given after cancer has disappeared following the initial therapy. Consolidation therapy is used to kill any cancer cells that may be left in the body. It may include radiation therapy, a stem cell transplant, or treatment with drugs that kill cancer cells. Also called intensification therapy and postremission therapy.

This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What are the side effects of CyberKnife treatment?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
The side effects of CyberKnife treatment vary depending on the location on the body. Learn more from...
How do doctors shape radiation therapy based on a tumor's shape and size?
Tania B. Kaprealian, MDTania B. Kaprealian, MD
A multileaf collimator is used to shape the beams of radiation to the individual tumors. The multile...
What is cone beam computed tomography for cancer radiation treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Cone beam computed tomography (CBCT or cone beam CT) involves the use of a CT scanner built into the...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?