What is consolidation therapy?

Consolidation therapy is a treatment that is given after cancer has disappeared following the initial therapy. Consolidation therapy is used to kill any cancer cells that may be left in the body. It may include radiation therapy, a stem cell transplant, or treatment with drugs that kill cancer cells. Also called intensification therapy and postremission therapy.

This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

When was CyberKnife treatment approved?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
CyberKife has been around since its approval in 2001. Afshin Rashtian, MD from Riverside Community H...
How is a person's head held in place during gamma knife surgery?
Isaac Yang, MDIsaac Yang, MD
Gamma knife surgery is a particular brand of radiosurgery that can be used to treat acoustic neuroma...
What is accelerated radiation therapy?
Accelerated radiation therapy is a type of radiation treatment in which the total dose of radiation ...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?