What can I expect during radiation treatments for cancer?

During your treatments, you will be cared for by your radiation therapist. Using the marks that have already been made on your skin, the radiation therapist will carefully position you on the treatment table beneath the machine. If a mold was made, the mold or sometimes tape will be used to help you hold still. Remaining still during treatments ensures that the proper area is treated.

The treatment machines are large and can be intimidating when you first encounter them. They can make noises similar to a vacuum cleaner and during your treatment they move up and down and around you so that radiation can be directed at the tumor from different angles. It is normal to be a bit anxious during your first few treatments, but you will become accustomed to the machines in a short period of time.

During treatment, your radiation therapist will be in another room monitoring you on a close-circuit TV screen. You will be able to talk to each other via an intercom. Even though you may feel alone, remind yourself that your treatment is constantly being checked.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) is an advanced method that uses computers to deliver pr...
What is external beam radiation therapy?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
External-beam radiation therapy is used to treat cancer. With external-beam radiation therapy, the r...
How can I deal with side effects from stomach radiation for cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
If you are being treated with external radiation in the stomach or abdominal area you may experi...
Can I take over-the-counter medicine during radiation treatment for cancer?
Be sure to ask your radiation oncologist or nurse before taking any medicine even over-the-count...