What should I expect during external beam radiation therapy?

During each external beam radiation therapy treatment:
  • You'll sit in a chair or lie on a table. A healthcare provider might use various pieces of equipment to help hold you in position for the treatment.
  • The radiation therapist will then go into the next room to control the machine. The therapist can see and hear you. The therapist can talk to you through a speaker.
  • You will see lights that show the therapist exactly where to point the radiation.
  • While the radiation beam is on, lie as still as possible. You don't have to hold your breath.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What are the benefits of Gamma Knife treatment?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Benefits of Gamma Knife treatment include: Although the treatment area where the beams converge re...
What are external and internal forms of radiation therapy for cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Radiation oncologists use both internal and external forms of radiation therapy to treat cancer. ...
What is CyberKnife treatment?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
CyberKnife is form of radiation treatment. In this video, Afshin Rashtian, MD from Riverside Communi...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?