What are the emotional side effects of radiation therapy for cancer?

It is important for you, your family and your friends to be aware that you may feel different during the course of your radiation treatment. Some people report feeling “down” or nervous. This may be due to the fact that your daily life schedule has been changed, because you are fatigued or because of our feelings about the disease. It is not unexpected or unnatural to feel this way. However, your attitude, your mental and emotional approach to your treatments and to cancer itself, is vitally important. It may help to talk with someone with whom you feel comfortable such as a doctor, social worker, chaplain, family member or friend. You may also consider joining a local support group.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is volumetric-modulated arc therapy (VMAT)?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Volumetric-modulated arc therapy (VMAT) is a type of specialized intensity modulated radiation thera...
What is an inspection visit after radiation therapy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
At the completion of radiation therapy treatment, you will be scheduled for an inspection visit with...
How can I deal with side effects from stomach radiation for cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
If you are being treated with external radiation in the stomach or abdominal area you may experi...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?