What is a typical course of external beam radiation therapy?

Depending on your type and stage of cancer, a course of external beam radiation therapy treatment usually lasts 2 to 10 weeks.
  • Each week, most people have a daily treatment for five days in a row. Some people have two treatments every day. Saturdays and Sundays are days off -- use these days to rest and recuperate from the effects of treatment.
  • Each session usually takes 10 to 20 minutes. The actual radiation time is only a few minutes.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is on-board imaging (OBI) for radiation therapy?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
On-board imaging (OBI) refers to the use of daily x-rays (taken right on the linear accelerator) tha...
What is a dosimetrist?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
A dosimetrist has extensive training in physics in addition to training in radiation therapy. Un...
How does radiation therapy (RT) treat cancer?
Radiation (also called radiotherapy, x-ray therapy, or irradiation) can be used alone or in comb...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?