What are the benefits of Gamma Knife treatment?

Benefits of Gamma Knife treatment include:
  • Although the treatment area where the beams converge receives a very high dose of radiation, each of the individual beams has low intensity so there is minimal risk to nearby tissue.
  • The absence of an incision eliminates the risk of bleeding and infection.
  • Patients experience minimal discomfort during and after the procedure.
  • Hospitalization is short--Gamma Knife procedures can be performed on an outpatient basis in a single session.
Most important of all, the Gamma Knife offers hope to patients who are considered untreatable or at very high risk for conventional neurosurgery.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What can I do about loss of appetite from radiation treatment?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Here are some hints to help you, if you have lost your appetite during treatment. Eat when you'r...
How has radiation improved?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Radiation for throat cancer is far more targeted. In this video, Eric Genden, MD, chairman of the de...
What are the side effects of radiation therapy?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
The goal of radiation is to kill as much cancer as possible while preserving normal tissue. However,...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?