What will happen before my radiation therapy for cancer?

When you are being considered for radiation therapy, the first step in the process is a consultation with a physician. During this meeting, which typically takes place within a week of the initial call, a care plan is developed for you. This may include radiation therapy alone, radiation therapy in conjunction with other techniques or another option altogether.

If radiation therapy is chosen and approved, a series of planning sessions will be held, during which doctors and physicists will develop an individualized treatment plan for you.

The CT simulation appointment follows your initial consultation with a physician regarding radiation therapy. During the simulation appointment, the radiation oncologist will obtain a 3-D picture of your tumor using CT, MRI or PET scanning. These data and images are used to reconstruct the tumor and the adjacent normal structures. This allows for accurate and precise dose targeting to the tumor and projection of normal tissues.

Just prior to starting radiation therapy, you will participate in a dry run. During this session, all aspects of your prescribed treatment -- positioning and dosages -- will be checked for accuracy. The dry run usually takes place in the room where you will receive your actual treatment. Typically, if all aspects of the dry run receive physician approval, your first treatment will take place on the same or following day, depending on appointment availability and the type of cancer.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is accelerated-fraction radiation therapy?
Accelerated-fraction radiation therapy is a type of radiation treatment in which the total dose of r...
How can I be sure there are no errors in my radiation treatment?
Hospital Safety ScoreHospital Safety Score
Radiation treatment for cancer can be very effective. However, it can be hard to trust a treatment t...
What are the benefits of external beam radiation for cancer treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
External beam radiation for the treatment of cancer allows high doses of radiation to be directe...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?