What should I expect before external beam radiation therapy?

Before external beam radiation therapy:
  • Your doctor will explain the treatment plan, possible side effects, and how the treatments may help. Be sure to ask any questions you have. It can help to write down your questions in advance.
  • You'll have a physical exam. You will also have tests to pinpoint the exact location of the cancer.
  • A healthcare provider will place small tattoos on your skin to show where to aim the radiation. The tattoos are permanent, but to minimize skin discoloration, they are tiny -- about the size of a pinhead.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

Are there side effects to radiation?
Yes, there are side effects to radiation. These may include hearing loss, dry mouth, and skin change...
Can I take over-the-counter medicine during radiation treatment for cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Be sure to ask your radiation oncologist or nurse before taking any medicine even over-the-count...
What is image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) for cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) refers to an x-ray taken just prior to your radiation treatmen...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?