What should I expect before external beam radiation therapy?

Before external beam radiation therapy:
  • Your doctor will explain the treatment plan, possible side effects, and how the treatments may help. Be sure to ask any questions you have. It can help to write down your questions in advance.
  • You'll have a physical exam. You will also have tests to pinpoint the exact location of the cancer.
  • A healthcare provider will place small tattoos on your skin to show where to aim the radiation. The tattoos are permanent, but to minimize skin discoloration, they are tiny -- about the size of a pinhead.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How does the Gamma Knife work?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The Gamma Knife uses a highly accurate beam of radiation to destroy cancer but does not involve ...
What questions should I ask my doctor about radiation therapy for cancer?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
You may want to ask your doctor these questions before having radiation therapy for cancer: Why d...
What are external and internal forms of radiation therapy for cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Radiation oncologists use both internal and external forms of radiation therapy to treat cancer. ...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?