What are the benefits of CyberKnife treatment?

The cyber knife is a particular type of radiation delivery device. It's a linear accelerator mounted on the end of a robotic arm that allows an amazing amount of flexibility in how the machine can deliver radiation; it has the precision of a surgeon's scalpel. Cyber knife is often used when treating brain and prostate cancers. Its imaging and computer systems are so sophisticated that it can even be used for some lung cancers, guiding the radiation in while the person breathes and the lung tumor moves.

Cyber knife's precision and focus often mean that treatment plans that traditionally lasted two months can now be reduced to four or five treatments and completed in less than one week. Doctors can be so specific with the radiation delivery that they can avoid nearby critical structures, keeping them from receiving a dangerous dose of radiation. This reduces the risk of both complications and side effects.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How do you prevent radiation from damaging healthy cells?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
Doctors avoid harming healthy tissue by deciding where to target radiation before cancer treatment. ...
How can I be sure there are no errors in my radiation treatment?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
There has been a great effort to make sure the machinery used in radiation treatment is safe. Watch ...
What is consolidation therapy?
Consolidation therapy is a treatment that is given after cancer has disappeared following the initia...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?