Does radiation therapy increase my risk of developing a second cancer?

The higher the dose of radiation received, the more risk for developing a second cancer. In general, the risk of having a second cancer from radiation is very low, and much depends on the amount of radiation given during treatment. For survivors of childhood cancer, radiation therapy is the most important risk factor for second cancers.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How does systemic radiation therapy work?
PearlPoint Cancer SupportPearlPoint Cancer Support
Systemic radiation therapy is used to treat cancer. With this type of therapy, the person with cance...
How can I protect my skin during radiation treatments for cancer?
Lori K. Gillespie, MDLori K. Gillespie, MD
During radiation treatment follow these guidelines: Do not use heating pads, hot water bottles, he...
What will happen before my radiation therapy for cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
When you are being considered for radiation therapy, the first step in the process is a consulta...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?