Is CyberKnife the same as Gamma Knife treatment?

Dr. Isaac Yang, MD
Neurosurgeon

CyberKnife surgery is not the same as Gamma Knife surgery, but they're very similar. Radiosurgery is the umbrella term. If you receive radiation in a lot of fractions, it is called radiotherapy. But if you receive it in five fractions or fewer, it is called radiosurgery. It is exactly the same radiation tactic, but the differing number of fractions will determine if it is called radiosurgery or radiotherapy.

There are different kinds of branding for radiosurgery and radiotherapy. One of them, the oldest and most well studied, is Gamma Knife. CyberKnife surgery is another kind of radiosurgery or radiotherapy. It's essentially just a different brand name although a very similar procedure.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What types of lasers are used in cancer treatment?
Three types of lasers are used to treat cancer: carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers, argon lasers, and neody...
Can I drive to my radiation treatments for cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Radiation therapy is usually given on an outpatient basis. Most patients will feel well enough t...
How can I prepare for radiation therapy for cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Once you begin a course of radiation therapy, you can usually expect to be at the oncology clini...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?