How does systemic radiation therapy work?

Systemic radiation therapy is used to treat cancer. With this type of therapy, the person with cancer swallows or receives injections of radioactive substance. This substance helps destroy cancer cells throughout the body. Radioactive iodine, a specific type of systemic radiation, is commonly used for thyroid cancer. Other types of systemic radiation may be used for hematological cancers.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is consolidation therapy?
Consolidation therapy is a treatment that is given after cancer has disappeared following the initia...
What is CyberKnife treatment for lung cancer?
Daniel A. Nader, DODaniel A. Nader, DO
Stereotactic body radiosurgery is a very precise way to use high-dose radiation therapy to a limited...
What is external beam radiation therapy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Radiation therapy is a treatment for cancer. In external beam radiation therapy, a large machine foc...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?