How does systemic radiation therapy work?

Systemic radiation therapy is used to treat cancer. With this type of therapy, the person with cancer swallows or receives injections of radioactive substance. This substance helps destroy cancer cells throughout the body. Radioactive iodine, a specific type of systemic radiation, is commonly used for thyroid cancer. Other types of systemic radiation may be used for hematological cancers.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How effective is radiation therapy in treating cancer?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
Cancer pain is very effectively treated with radiation therapy, says Afshin Rashtian, MD, of Riversi...
What is Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) is a form of radiation therapy that is used to treat di...
Does radiation therapy increase my risk of developing a second cancer?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
The higher the dose of radiation received, the more risk for developing a second cancer. In gene...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?