How can I be sure there are no errors in my radiation treatment?

There has been a great effort to make sure the machinery used in radiation treatment is safe. Watch Tamara Sutton, director of cancer services at Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center, explain the process behind safeguarding the radiation machines. 
Radiation treatment for cancer can be very effective. However, it can be hard to trust a treatment that you cannot see, touch or smell. It may make you more comfortable with your radiology therapy if you ask some basic questions to keep yourself safe. The American Society of Radiation Oncology and others suggest asking questions such as: 
  • Find out about the training of the staff
  • Ask about the maintenance of the equipment
  • Be informed about your plan for therapy
  • Ask about who will provide the service
  • Be informed about expected side effects. Awareness about normal and expected responses to a treatment regimen can help you recognize serious problems and complications sooner. The American Cancer Society is a good resource for this information.
  • Keep a record so you not overmedicated.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How can radiation affect a man's fertility?
LIVESTRONGLIVESTRONG
Radiation therapy can slow down or stop sperm cell production if the testicle is in or near the targ...
What is a dosimetrist?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
A dosimetrist has extensive training in physics in addition to training in radiation therapy. Un...
How effective is radiation therapy in treating cancer?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
Cancer pain is very effectively treated with radiation therapy, says Afshin Rashtian, MD, of Riversi...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?