How can I be sure there are no errors in my radiation treatment?

Radiation treatment for cancer can be very effective. However, it can be hard to trust a treatment that you cannot see, touch or smell. It may make you more comfortable with your radiology therapy if you ask some basic questions to keep yourself safe. The American Society of Radiation Oncology and others suggest asking questions such as: 
  • Find out about the training of the staff
  • Ask about the maintenance of the equipment
  • Be informed about your plan for therapy
  • Ask about who will provide the service
  • Be informed about expected side effects. Awareness about normal and expected responses to a treatment regimen can help you recognize serious problems and complications sooner. The American Cancer Society is a good resource for this information.
  • Keep a record so you not overmedicated.
There has been a great effort to make sure the machinery used in radiation treatment is safe. Watch Tamara Sutton, director of cancer services at Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center, explain the process behind safeguarding the radiation machines. 

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What is CyberKnife treatment?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
CyberKnife is form of radiation treatment. In this video, Afshin Rashtian, MD from Riverside Communi...
How does radiation kill breast cancer cells?
Susan McCloskey, MDSusan McCloskey, MD
Radiation therapy consistently decreases the risk for breast cancer recurrence by about 50% to 70%. ...
How does radiation therapy work?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
In radiation therapy, radiation is concentrated on a specific part of the body to kill cancer cells....
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?