How is radiation therapy given to treat cancer?

Radiation (also called radiotherapy, x-ray therapy, or irradiation) for cancer treatment is administered at a hospital or treatment center in internal or external forms. Internal radiation requires a radioactive substance sealed in a container to be implanted into a tumor or body cavity. Sometimes an unsealed source is used and is taken orally or by injection. External radiation requires a machine that will direct high-energy rays at the tumor and surrounding area.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What are the different types of radiation therapy?
Dr CamilleDr Camille
There two major "types" of Radiation Therapy that can be considered; External Radiation Therapy and ...
What types of lasers are used in cancer treatment?
Three types of lasers are used to treat cancer: carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers, argon lasers, and neody...
What is cone beam computed tomography for cancer radiation treatment?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Cone beam computed tomography (CBCT or cone beam CT) involves the use of a CT scanner built into the...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?