How can radiation affect a man's fertility?

Radiation therapy can slow down or stop sperm cell production if the testicle is in or near the target area for the radiation. A lead shield can help protect the testicles during radiation aimed at a nearby organ such as the prostate.
Total body irradiation used before some bone marrow transplants often causes permanent infertility.
If the testicles get a mild dose of radiation, a man's fertility may drop but can then recover over the next one to four years. 
If the radiation dose to the testicles is high, sperm production may stop forever. This happens because the spermatogonia are destroyed. These are the stem cells in the testicles that divide and grow to produce mature sperm.
Radiation damage to the part of the brain that controls hormone production can sometimes prevent the hormone messages from getting to the testicles.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

Can I take over-the-counter medicine during radiation treatment for cancer?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Be sure to ask your radiation oncologist or nurse before taking any medicine even over-the-count...
What is intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) for cancer?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Intraoperative radiation therapy (IORT) is a selectively used special procedure in which radiation i...
What is recovery like after CyberKnife treatment?
Afshin Rashtian, MDAfshin Rashtian, MD
Recovery time after CyberKnife treatment depends on which part of the body is being treated. Afshin ...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?