How can I protect my skin during radiation treatments for cancer?

Lori K. Gillespie, MD
Radiation Oncology
During radiation treatment follow these guidelines:
  • Do not use heating pads, hot water bottles, heat lamps, sun lamps, or ice packs on the treated area of the skin.
  • Do not expose treated skin to the sun.
  • Wear cotton undergarments, if appropriate, for treated areas of skin.
  • Avoid tight-fitting clothing.
  • Avoid the use of tape on the affected area.
  • Do not shave skin in the treatment field unless you use an electric razor.
  • When you wash, use only lukewarm water and mild soaps on the treatment area. Do not rub the treated area.
  • Do not use lotions, creams, powders, or ointments in the treatment area unless prescribed by your radiation oncologist. If prescribed, do not apply within four hours prior to radiation treatment. Skin should be clean and dry for treatment.

• Do not apply deodorant, cosmetics, cologne or perfumed creams to the treatment area.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What can I do about loss of appetite from radiation treatment?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
Here are some hints to help you, if you have lost your appetite during treatment. Eat when you'r...
What is a typical course of external beam radiation therapy?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Depending on your type and stage of cancer, a course of external beam radiation therapy treatment us...
What is a radiation oncology nurse?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
A radiation oncology nurse works in collaboration with the radiation oncologist and the radiation te...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?