How can I prevent errors in my child’s radiation treatment?

Radiation treatment for cancer can be very effective. It may make you more comfortable with your child’s radiology therapy if you ask some basic questions in order to keep errors in care at bay. The American Society of Radiation Oncology and others suggest that you:
  • Find out about the training of the staff.
  • Ask about the maintenance of the equipment.
  • Be informed about the plan for your child’s therapy.
  • Ask about who will provide the service and if their training is appropriate for the therapy being delivered.
  • Be informed about expected side effects. Awareness about normal and expected responses to a treatment regimen can help you recognize serious problems and complications sooner. The American Cancer Society is a good resource for such information.
  • Keep a record so your child is not overmedicated.
  • Ask to be sure the lowest, effective level of radiation is being administered.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

How does the Gamma Knife work?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
The Gamma Knife uses a highly accurate beam of radiation to destroy cancer but does not involve ...
How can I prepare for radiation therapy for cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Once you begin a course of radiation therapy, you can usually expect to be at the oncology clini...
What is accelerated-fraction radiation therapy?
Accelerated-fraction radiation therapy is a type of radiation treatment in which the total dose of r...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?