Are there side effects to radiation?

Yes, there are side effects to radiation. These may include hearing loss, dry mouth, and skin changes. Depending on the type of radiation given, it may also cause the thyroid to work improperly.

Sexual dysfunction in prostate cancer treatment can occur with external beam radiation or seed implants, says William Oh, MD, an oncologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center. In this video, he explains the risks of radiation treatment.

Continue Learning about Radiation Therapy For Cancer

What are possible sexual side effects of radiation treatment for cancer?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
Radiation treatment for prostate cancer can damage the nerves and vessels that serve the penis. ...
What types of lasers are used in cancer treatment?
Three types of lasers are used to treat cancer: carbon dioxide (CO2) lasers, argon lasers, and neody...
What are the different types of radiation therapy?
External beam radiation therapy is the type most commonly used in oncology. For this type of radiati...
How Can Cancer Treatment Affect My Sexual Health?