What increases my risk for rabies?

You're more likely to be exposed to rabies if you put yourself near wild animals-for example, while camping or going into caves-or if you travel to or live in countries where rabies is more widespread, especially in Southeast Asia and Africa.

If a rabid animal bites you, you're more likely to develop rabies if you don't start rabies treatment promptly. Rabies symptoms can appear in as little as 10 days, and then it is almost always fatal.

Continue Learning about Rabies

How common is rabies?
Rabies kills two or three people each year in the United States. These people usually don't know tha...
How is rabies treated?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
You must get rabies treatment very soon after you are exposed, before deadly symptoms appear. If you...
What should I do if I might have been exposed to rabies from a bat?
While bites are a common way for diseases to be spread from bats to humans, exposure to saliva and o...
Should I talk to my doctor if I think I have been exposed to rabies?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
If you think you've been exposed to rabies, you should seek medical attention immediately, and call ...