What are the symptoms of rabies?

Rabies may start with flu-like symptoms, including fever and headache. Patients may become confused, agitated, and behave strangely. They may be delirious and unable to sleep, and they may salivate unusually much. The muscles in the throat contract painfully, so that the patient cannot swallow. For one in five people with rabies, the first sign is when the bitten body part becomes paralyzed, followed by the rest of the body; these patients usually don't get the other symptoms. Rabies symptoms can appear anywhere from 10 days to a more than a year after the bite occurred, depending how far away the bite is from the brain, but a month or two is most common. By the time symptoms appear, rabies is almost always fatal.

Continue Learning about Rabies

What is rabies and how do people get it?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Rabies is a virus that is carried by mammals in their saliva, and is transmitted via a bite or scrat...
What should I do if I might have been exposed to rabies from a bat?
While bites are a common way for diseases to be spread from bats to humans, exposure to saliva and o...
How is rabies spread?
Peter DeLuciaPeter DeLucia
Rabies is spread through a mammal's saliva, via a bite or scratch by an infected animal. Watch publi...
How can I care for someone who has been exposed to rabies?
If you suspect someone has been exposed to rabies-usually through an animal bite-get them medical he...